The James Stuart mill at Phillipsburg, built in 1867 for silver ores, is a stone building ; engine, 50 horse-power ; boilers, 40-inch diameter and 20 feet long; runs ten stamps, 650 pounds each ; six Wheeler pans, 4 feet in diameter, and three concentrators, 8 feet in diameter ; stamps and pans are geared to make from 60 to 75 drops and revolutions per minute. Capacity from 12 to 15 tons per twenty-four hours, according to quality of ore. It has crushed about 1,000 tons of quartz in all, which yielded about $100,000. The rock worked was principally croppings and ore taken from near the surface. The mill is now idle, awaiting re- pairs of crank and cylinder. It cost, all told, about $75,000, currency, and is considered the best mill in the Territory. It is situated in Flint Creek district, which first became generally known in the winter of 1866.
Report of Rossiter Raymond to Congress for 1869.