Sunday, September 25, 2022

McDougal: Patriot of World War One

 

                                                             Private John McDougal

The January 10, 1919, Philipsburg Mail headlined: “Another Granite County Boy Makes Supreme Sacrifice for His Country: Philipsburg was inexpressibly shocked Monday when word was received that John McDougal, son of Mr. and Mrs. Donald McDougal, had succumbed November 30, to wounds received in battle the latter part of October. (a recent letter received by his family had said he was doing well and planned on returning home shortly)…Now that he has given his brave young life for the country he loved we know that the splendid conception of what he considered was his duty to others would not permit him to cause his parents and family the least worry and that he shielded all thoughts of his wounds and sufferings as much as possible. 

We all knew John and liked him for his fine and true characteristics which our American manhood is imbued and we were unprepared to receive the saddening news so long after peace was declared. He is one of many of our boys who have fulfilled their duty to the final conclusion on the fields of France. He will not return home to receive the honors which would have been his right of conflict, but his memory will be the more revered for he gave up his life in the sacred cause of humanity…” He John, born February 4, 1889 was twenty nine years of age. Besides his parents he left to mourn his loss two brothers, Joe, in Philipsburg and Dan, who was in the Marine barracks at Hawaii, and one sister, Mamie. 

In the Philipsburg cemetery his large marble headstone reads: “In our country’s service Private John A. McDougal Co. A 104 infantry 26 Division A.E.F. Born in Butte, Mont. Feb. 4, 1889 Wounded in battle of Argonne Forest October 12, Died in Blois, France Nov. 20, 1918 Loved by all who knew him McDOUGAL” 

 A Poem written by Mrs. D.A. McDougal sent in to The Mail, after she wrote it December 20, 1918, was not published until January 10. 

 My Soldier Son 
I have watched for my boy in Khaki 
With his arm tied up in a sling 
For the wounds he got on the battlefield 
To me are a terrible sting. 
I have watched and waited and waited 
For he seems so far away, 
But a ship arrived last Sunday 
And I thought he’d be home today. 
I have sat today by my service flag. 
The one with the silver star, 
Thinking of him in the hospital, 
Away from home so far. 
I have prayed both night and daily 
For my boy to come home safe to me, 
But the hand of the cruel German 
Has made life a burden to me. 
So I’ll watch and wait for my loved one 
Till God sends him back to me, 
To trust in his infinite mercy 
Is all that is left for me. 
To the hearts that are weary and aching 
For their sons to return to them 
Will keep hoping and watching and waiting 
And trusting and praying to Him. 

The following letter was received by John’s mother, from C. Davies, Chaplain, describing the care provided to this young man: 
“Blois, France, December 14, 1918; Dear Mrs. McDougal: I suppose you know by this time through the U.S. government that your dear boy died on November 30, a few hours after I had written you. 

We never thought he would start so quickly, though his condition had suddenly become very serious. On Friday evening he was very weak and on Saturday morning when I saw the state he was in and fearing he would become unconscious I suggested the last sacraments which he received with much piety at two o’clock in the afternoon. Then he made the sacrifice of his own life “for my mother and the cause of the allies” as he said. At 3:30 I came back to him, said a few words and asked him if he heard me. He opened his eyes and answered “yes, Father”. I gave him a last absolution and waited. Half an hour later he passed away very peacefully. 

Well, dear Mrs. McDougal,…I am sure it will be a real consolation for you to know that your beloved son died well. From Heaven he will protect the dear mother he so often mentioned and one day you will meet again, not to be separated any more. 

Your son was really a very good man. We all loved him here and shall never forget the genuine smile we found on his face every time we approached the bed. “Rest in Peace” I pray you, dear Mrs. McDougal to accept my deep sympathy and believe me, Yours very respectfully, C. Davies, K. of C. Chaplain.”

No comments:

Post a Comment