Thursday, September 22, 2016

Mettle of Granite County Book One Chapter Four

Chapter Four

More merchants and businessmen

Table of Contents



A merchant and political family that has been promoter’s of Granite County, without exception are the Huffman’s. They began their history here with A.S. (Addison) and C.T. (Cosmo). References are found in the Citizen Call, in 1893 and 1894, demonstrating, the family was established in the community at that time.  They were also having financial difficulties, during the silver crash.
The firm of Freyschlag, Huffman and Co. closed its doors last Wednesday to adjust all outstanding indebtedness. Its resumption in the near future is rumored, with continuous permanency”.
 Noted for delinquent taxes for the year 1893, in the January 10, 1894, Citizen Call, was, Huffman, A.S. and J.H., Lot 2 Block 11, Pardee/McDonald Addition; Huffman, Forin and Rains. Improvements in the Sea Mew Lode. Huffman Brothers and Rains. Lot ten, Block fourteen and  Block fifteen, Lot ten, Block nineteen, one house with fixtures, two houses in the Pardee and McDonald Addition. Also referenced in the same paper was: “Judge Huffman is temporarily settled in his new office in the Hyde Building”.

The next reference to the Addison S. Huffman family, was in 1895, with an article stating that Mrs. A.S. Huffman, had been visiting relatives and friends in Illinois for the past three weeks, would return home the latter part of the week, consequently, Assessor Huffman was wearing a broad smile.

Then A.S. Huffman was appointed Registry Agent, by newly elected Mayor Valentine Jacky and his first duty was to announce that the registration books would be open next Monday morning for the registration of voters for the approaching city elections.[1]

He was one of the eighty plus men, from Philipsburg, that volunteered for the Spanish American War,[2] and was elected as Sentinel for the Hope Chapter  No. 10 of the Royal Association of Mason’s.

The January 1897, Philipsburg Fire Brigade elected without opposition A.S. Huffman, as one of the trustees. The other trustees were: Dr. S.A. Brown and J.J. Carmichael; President was M.H. Bryan, Vice president Q.J. Quivey; Secretary C.H. Coy; Treasurer A.A. Fairbairn; Chief A.B. Ringling; and Asst. Chief George Winninghoff .

In the November 3, 1899, Philipsburg Mail, was another reference related to George Burks “the popular delivery man of Huffman’ Grocery” leaving for a job in Missoula. So we know that the grocery was in operation prior to that date.

On May 11, 1900, I found a news article detailing Mrs. A.S. Huffman entertaining the Ladies of The Eastern Star, at her home on May 5.  The party was given in the honor of Mrs. Emily Frizzell of Great Falls, Grand Matron O.E.S. of Montana. 

In 1900, C.T. expanded the store by renting a room from Valentine Jacky..
C.T. Huffman purchased the Wm. Neu residence on the north side and as soon as Mr. Neu and family move to Kalispell he will take possession and furnish the house for his brother. It is said that Cos has been taking lessons from George Burks and knows just how his brother would like things arranged.
Then in 1901, Cosmo T. Huffman advertised his filing of a claim for the Mountain View Mine, which was located in Deer Lodge County near Georgetown.[3]

Rodney Huffman suffered from cerebral meningitis in 1907 and Doctor T.C. Witherspoon, from Butte, was called in for consultation. Obviously the treatment was successful and Rodney, recovered from the illness.

An American Gem Mining Syndicate, receipted voucher, May 29, 1912, included C.T. Huffman, with the amount listed as $145.37 on receipt number 2259 and $66.40 on receipt number 2279. [4]
Then, Jeff P. Huffman died from a gunshot wound at the West Fork Flume camp, after being shot by Bert Crysler. His funeral was held at the A.S. Huffman home, with Rev. Claude Smith, of the Presbyterian Church officiating. Pallbearers were: M.C. Durfee, W.B. Calhoun, C.E. Kennedy, O.C. Mersereau, H. Parfitt and Angus Murray, with internment in the Philipsburg cemetery. He was a nephew of the Philipsburg Huffman’s and only recently moved to Montana.[5] The shooting is discussed in depth in the Sapphire Chapter, in Book II.

The June 12, 1914, Philipsburg Mail, announced that Mr. and Mrs. A.S. Huffman and sons Rodney and Carroll were visitors in Deer Lodge on Memorial Day. They returned Sunday in Rod’s automobile. Also in the same issue of the Mail, was the marriage announcement of Reuben B. Huffman, to Miss Margaret E. Metcalf, at the home of the bride's parents on June 6, with Rev. W.J. Attwood performing the ceremony. Witnesses were the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. R.D. Metcalf. Mr. Huffman was a miner in the Princeton district and the couple would live in the Robert Metcalf home, on North Montgomery Street, for the summer.

Headlines “Death is Sudden”, began the article, in the June 2, 1916, Philipsburg Mail:
One of the saddest deaths it has been the Mail’s, duty to record in many months is that of Mrs. Huffman, wife of County Commissioner Asa Huffman, who passed away at a hospital in Butte at 8 p.m., Sunday, May 28, having failed to rally from an operation for the removal of gallstones.

Lucy A., the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George W. Burks, born on June 25, 1856 in Havana, Illinois, came to Montana in 1888. In 1889, she married Asa, in Philipsburg and to this marriage was born three children: Mrs. W.C. (Lottie) Bowen Jr., Rodney and Carroll Huffman all of Philipsburg. Besides her husband and children she was survived by her brothers George O. Burks of Deer Lodge and Fred C. Burks and sister Mrs. John B. Harris, of Philipsburg.

An active member of the Presbyterian Church, she was very involved in the Sunday School and a member of the Women’s Club of Philipsburg.  Lucy was also a member of Pearl Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star and the Bitter Root Circle of Women of Woodcraft. The funeral on May 30 was at the family home with a huge contingent of twenty seven automobiles, plus many horse drawn vehicles following the body to the cemetery. Pallbearers were: Walter W. Kroger, Angus McDonald, A.R. McDonald, Jas. E. Northey, P.E. Taylor and H.A. Featherman.

On June 30, 1916, the Philipsburg Mail published the following announcement:
There will be a memorial service for the late Mrs. A.S. Huffman at the Presbyterian Church next Sunday morning and since it seems desirable that the Sunday School children, to whom Mrs. Huffman’s love and teaching meant so much, should have their part in this service, it will be held immediately after the Sunday School lesson, at 10:45 o’clock. There will be appropriate music and a short sermon by the Rev. Dr. Billingsley.
September 1, 1916, Philipsburg Mail, had an article stating County Commissioner A.S. Huffman, was seriously ill during the week. The article stated he had been troubled with severe headaches for several weeks and did not feel well when he left for the Commissioner’s Convention in Lewistown. On his return, he was very ill and went to bed and the physician was called. Due to the concern Dr. Willard, from Deer Lodge was also called for a consultation. He arrived with George Burks on Sunday night. The illness was determined to be an infection of either the spine or nervous system and he showed marked improvement, at the time the paper was sent to press.

In the same edition of the Mail, was an article stating Mrs. R.B. (Margaret Metcalf) Huffman, was seriously ill at her home in Glendive, Montana and her sister Mollie Metcalf, who had been visiting, sent a message Saturday to her parents Mr. and Mrs. George Metcalf of her condition.  Her parents and brothers Cleve and Robert left at once for Butte were to travel by train to the eastern Montana city. The article ends with the comment “They found Mrs. Huffman suffering from a nervous breakdown”.

Margaret, born in 1884, died in 1988, at the age of one hundred and four and Reuben, born in 1874, died in 1940. I know they had at least one daughter because I found where: “Mr. and Mrs. Reuben B. Huffman and daughter Jean visited in Phoenix several weeks before returning home the week of May 18, 1928.”

In 1918, A.S. Huffman was re-elected as the Democrat for County Commissioner with 160 votes, in the Primary held on September 3.

Rodney Huffman, son of A.S. and the late Mrs. A.S. Huffman, was one of the service men that left Philipsburg for Camp Lewis on April 29, 1918 and was in France by September 26. In the Patriots Chapter, I have included a letter published by The Mail, that Rodney wrote to his parents. Rodney returned to Philipsburg on January 24 with three gold bars on his sleeve: one for his injury; one for his service; and one showing his discharge from the service. He received his injuries when a:
machine gun attachment and a high explosive dropped amongst them and he was the only one of his crew to escape alive. His companions were torn to pieces and it is one of the incidents that he would rather forget if he could. He received several shrapnel wounds in the side.[vi]
On October 17, 1919, the Philipsburg Mail carried the article:
 …that while filling the gasoline tank on the C.T. Huffman’s big grocery truck October 16, Edward Mullen, little Roddy McRae and several others narrowly escaped serious injury and burns when the tank on the car (should say truck) exploded throwing burning gasoline in all directions. Mullen had just taken a truck load of powder to the powder magazine north of the city and on his way back to the store stopped at the Huffman garage to fill the tank. He left the engine running while pouring the gasoline into the truck, which is located just in front of the driver’s seat some of the fluid probably ran down the side of the tank onto the hot exhaust pipes. An explosion followed which tore the tank wide open, blew the hood off the engine and set fire to the (truck).
Roddy McRae received slight burns on the face and hands and Mullen had some minor burns.

Mrs. J. S. Huffman died in Deer Lodge, on August 25, 1920. In poor health for several years, they moved from Philipsburg to California.  But in the spring of 1920, returned to Montana and located at Deer Lodge. She was fifty four years of age and her body was taken to St. Louis, her former home, after a funeral service in Deer Lodge, accompanied by her husband, J.S. and his brother, A.S. Huffman.[7]

Demonstrating that April Fools jokers were around in the good old days, was an article published in the Mail, from a clipping sent from Missoula.
An interesting visitor who gets to Missoula occasionally is A.S. Huffman, business man of Philipsburg, and who, by the way has served Granite County as county commissioner for many years. Mr. Huffman was in the city the other day, and meeting a number of friends, took them out to dinner. While in the café the guests appropriated all the silverware in sight and piece by piece deposited it in his pockets. The dinner over, Huffman walked up to the cashier’s desk to pay the bill, while the guests looked up the proprietor to inform him that the innocent looking Huffman had stolen all of the silverware in the place, that he had it in his pockets and was making his getaway. They even went so far as to advise the calling of police. The proprietor knew the bunch and also knew Huffman and naturally did not call the officers. As the gang was having the laugh Huffman was walking around the place with his pockets bulging and was the most surprised man present when he discovered the excess baggage. He has patronized the place for many years and states that the next time he comes to Missoula he will seek new companions if the old ones persist in trying to get him into trouble.[8]
Cosmo T. Huffman, born in Hillsville, Virginia, on January 8, 1870 (or February 8, according to his obituary) came to Montana, at the age of twenty two. He arrived in Philipsburg in 1892 and was first employed by a large grocery concern (not named), then took charge of the Patten Mill, where he worked for a number of years. He married Elizabeth Ann Bowen, on December 18, 1902, and to this marriage three daughters were born: Dora, Florence and Elza.

His obituary stated Cosmo, with his brothers, bought out Lutey Brother’s Grocery Store, about twenty three years prior, which he managed from that time. A note in the Philipsburg Mail, stated C.T. Huffman, was the successor to the Lutey Brothers Grocery, on October 8, 1897. So he must have taken the store over twenty five years earlier.

In the December 30, 1898, Philipsburg Mail, C. T. was chosen as an officer for Hope Chapter No. 10 Royal Association of Mason’s. Then in 1901, I found a mining patent filed for Cosmo T. Huffman, for the Mountain View Mine, located at Georgetown, with the first publication in the Philipsburg Mail on October 25, 1901. A news article in the local brevities stated: C.T. Huffman was ill with Quincy on February 7, 1902; and he was installed as Worshipful Master of the Flint Creek Lodge No. 11 A.F. & A.M. on Wednesday December 30, 1903 according to the Philipsburg Mail, January 1, 1904. He was also a member of Hope Chapter No. 10, R.A.M. and the O.E.S. From 1905, until his death, he held the office of Treasurer in both the Blue Lodge and the Chapter.

Cosmo T. died August 1, 1922, in the Murray Hospital, in Butte, after having surgery for gallstones. Funeral services were held at the family home on August 3, with Rev. William R. Scott officiating. The service at the grave was conducted by the Mason’s, with Dr. W. I. Power acting as Master. Pallbearers were: E.E. Blumenthal, Paul Neal, Angus Johnston, E.E. Springer, Dr. C.A. Pike, and H.A. Featherman. Honorary pallbearers were: Judge George B. Winston of Anaconda, Judge H.T. Cummings of Drummond, Lawrence Hauck, George Metcalf, John Kaiser and Frank D. Sayrs of Philipsburg.

The funeral cortege was the largest ever seen, with the last car not yet leaving Main Street when the first car arrived at the cemetery. Cosmo was survived by his wife and three daughters and four brothers: Jasper and A.S. of Philipsburg, Reuben of Seattle and John of Hillsville, Virginia; two sisters: Mrs. John Knapp of Galaxy, Virginia and Mrs. B.D. Coulson, of Hillsville, Virginia.[9]
Dora (Lottie) Huffman, daughter of Ad and Lucy, born in 1850, married W.C. Bowen. William died in 1930 and Lottie died in 1931, both are buried in the Philipsburg cemetery.

Cosmo’s wife, Elizabeth Bowen Huffman born on September 29, 1878, lived until shortly after her one hundredth birthday and died on October 1, 1978. She is interred near Cosmo in the Philipsburg cemetery.

Rodney Huffman and Miss Estelle (Star) Neu were married on January 18, 1923, at St. Joseph Church in Butte by Reverend D.P. Meade, pastor of St. Philip’s Church, in Philipsburg. After a short honeymoon trip through Montana they returned to Philipsburg where Rodney, the son of County Commissioner A.S. Huffman, was the manager of the Huffman Grocery.

The new, Mrs. Huffman was the second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Neu and had been the manager of Mountain States Telephone and Telegraph Company, for several years. Estelle, born in 1895, died in 1987 and Rodney born in 1891, died in 1971. They are both buried in the Philipsburg cemetery.

In June of 1924, townsfolk were thrilled to hear the news of Ad’s marriage. A.S. and his new bride Miss Lucy Carpenter, were met with a huge group to charvari them, as they stepped off the train at the N.P. Depot. The party minded, with the assistance of Fred Haverty and a Fordson tractor, pulled the old:
‘49 Stage Coach from a pile of rubble near the depot and hooked the Fordson to the stage, thus motorizing it. A serenade band of four pieces had reserved seats on the top of the coach and as the train arrived they began a bridal serenade accompanied by tin can drummers and the shrieking of many automobile horns and the siren from the fire truck. As Commissioner Ad, stepped from the train he was taken in hand by Under-sheriff Harry Holland, while the bride was escorted to the royal carriage by County Treasurer A.R. McDonald. The parade then started uptown and as the procession passed the steam laundry Al Bassett treated the newlyweds to a steam whistle serenade that only newlyweds could enjoy.[10]
After a perfect parade they were taken to the home of the A.J. Huffman’s for a wedding lunch and then served a beautiful wedding supper, later that evening, at the C.T. Huffman home. At this time Ad, had served the county as Commissioner, for twelve years, according to the article and Mrs. Huffman, had been a member of the High School Faculty for a number of years before leaving Philipsburg. Her many friends were glad to see her return.

Carroll M. Huffman surprised his friends, when several days before the announced wedding date, he and Helen Roe, were married at the Catholic Parish, by Rev. M.J. Bourke, on December 4, 1923. After a short honeymoon, in Butte, the couple returned to make their home in Philipsburg. Helen was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Roe and a “violinist of ability”. She graduated from Granite County High School with the class of 1922 and attended Dillon Normal College. She had taught in the lower valley for the school term that just finished. Carroll was the youngest son of County Commissioner A.S. Huffman.[11]

The Mail, October 2, 1925, carried an article about the death of J.P. Reins, with the statement he was a relative of the Huffman family, but did not state what relationship. Mr. Reins arrived in Montana in 1868, after serving in the Civil War, and settled in Philipsburg. He left Philipsburg in 1875 and moved to Butte.

The February 5, 1926, Philipsburg Mail, Court Notes, detail A.S. Huffman, Elizabeth A. Huffman, Dora V. Huffman, Florence E. Huffman, and Elizabeth A Huffman as guardian of Elisa Huffman, doing business under the name of Huffman Grocery vs. J.J. Kneale and H.A. Featherman, as receivers of the Philipsburg State Bank. The trial was continued to Thursday, February 18, 1926. As so often the case in my research, no other comments are found concerning this trial, in the Mail.  In 1927 A.S., was again in the news when he broke his knee-cap during a visit to a grocery store in Los Angeles, California.

Jasper S. Huffman was a resident of Philipsburg for thirty five years, when he died in California in 1927, after traveling there to improve his failing health. The first reference I found of him was where he circulated a petition to have the legislature, reconsider women’s right to vote. “He desires to be a candidate for Congress and thinks he can make his calling and election sure if the ladies can be enfranchised”.[12] Jasper also volunteered for the Spanish American War.[13] He was involved in mining and according to the December 2, 1927, Philipsburg Mail, “had interest in the Gold Reef, Gold Hill, Huffman Copper, and many other smaller mining properties in Granite county”. He won, as a Democrat the November 6, 1906 election, for County Assessor, against Freeman A. Taylor by a plurality of 66 votes.

 Jasper, born in Hillville, Virginia, was buried in the family plot in St. Louis, Missouri, when his body was accompanied by his wife, to St. Louis, on November 30, 1927. His brother Ad and family had visited him earlier in the year and believed that his health was improving, so the family was most surprised to hear of his death. Survivors were: brothers, Addison, and Reuben of Philipsburg; John of Virginia and sister, Mrs. May Knapp, of Virginia; nephews: Rodney and Carroll; and nieces: Mrs. Mae Bowen, Dora, Florence, Elza and Jean Huffman all of Philipsburg.[14]

The November 18, 1928, Philipsburg Mail announced that Misses Elza Huffman, senior and Eileen Durfee, junior were selected from Granite County High School to represent Philipsburg at the Vocational Congress to be held in Bozeman November 21 to 24. The trip for the two young ladies was financed by the Woman’s Club of Philipsburg. Elza Charlotte, born January 2, 1912, died March 7, 1979 and is buried in the family plot, in the Philipsburg cemetery.

A.S. Huffman, lost the re-election for County Commissioner, by a vote of 638 to 751 for J.F. Shoblom, in the General Election, held November 8, 1928.

Returning to Cosmos’s family, his daughter, Dora V. Huffman, graduated from Granite County High School Friday evening the May 27, 1921, with the ceremonies conducted at the McDonald Theatre. Class mates were James Calhoun, Humphrey Courtney, Vernon Cutler, Elsie Hauck, Laura Johnson, Helen M. Kennedy, Dan McDonald, Mary McGarvey, Florence Neu, Matilda Saurer, and Mary Wight. The class Motto was: Backbone not wishbone. After completing a degree at the University of Montana and some graduate degree work also at the University, she began teaching Home Economics at Granite County High School. There she met W.W. Penington, whom she married on August 7, 1929, at her parent’s home, with Rev. E.J. Groenevald, of the First Presbyterian Church, performing the ceremony. Elsa Huffman was the bridesmaid, Florence Huffman the maid of honor, George Metcalf the best man and Luther Page the usher. After spending several weeks on the Pacific coast the couple returned to make their home in Philipsburg.

The marriage was short lived, as William Wayne Penington, born April 18, 1895, died in Rochester, Minnesota, on June 24, 1932, where he had traveled for medical treatment. The obituary stated:
Unfortunately, complications due to his training in the camps, during the World War and subsequent hospitalizations made recovery impossible, and Mrs. Pennington is left to mourn the passing of a husband at the beginning of their life together”.[15]  
According to the obituary Mr. Penington, enlisted in the Army and trained first at Camp Grant in Illinois, then Camp Hancock, Georgia, where he was awaiting overseas orders, when the armistice was signed. He then returned to school and received a degree in Education from Western Illinois, State Teacher’s College, then taught at White Lake, South Dakota, next Western State Teacher’s College and in 1927 came to Philipsburg to teach Manual training and Social Science.

After the marriage, he took a teaching position in Deer Lodge in 1931 and planned to return there, in the fall of 1932. He was affiliated with the Mason’s and had assisted in setting up the Granite Chapter of the order of DeMolay, of which he served as Dad. In 1931, when he moved to Deer Lodge, he served as a Boy Scout Leader.

Survivors were: his wife, father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. Rosavell Penington of Avair, Illinois; two sisters: Mrs. Harold Sears, of Vermont, Illinois and Mrs. Fred Sullivan of Adair, Illinois; a brother, Gale of Adair and a niece and nephew, Margaret and Gerald Sears. A short funeral service was held at Rochester for family and friends, on June 27.  Then, the wife accompanied by her mother, Mrs. Elizabeth Huffman, sisters Elizabeth and Florence, uncles William and Charles, Bowen, traveled back to Philipsburg, where a service was held in the Masonic Temple on July 1.  Rev. F.C. Phelps of the Presbyterian Church of Deer Lodge officiated. Pallbearers were: M.J. Greenshields of Deer Lodge, W. Applegate, H. Applegate, Luther Page, Frances Superneau and Roderick McDonald of Philipsburg. There was also a long list of honorary pallbearers published.

After W. W. ‘s death, Dora continued teaching and in total, spent forty two and one third years as teacher-principal in the Philipsburg schools. Her obituary stated she received her Bachelor and Master’s degree from the University of Montana and began her teaching career at Granite County High School, the following school year. The year book of 1929, does not credit her with a Master’s degree at that time, only that she had completed some graduate work.  Classes she taught included English, French, American History, Typing, Home Economics, and Chemistry.  When she was the girl's basket ball coach, the team was recognized as champions of Western Montana. At the end of her career she was the school librarian.

Dora died in 1994 and is buried next to her husband in the Masonic section of the cemetery. She was a Past Matron of the Eastern Star and Past Mother Advisor of the local Order of Rainbow; also a member of the American Legion Auxiliary, the National Council of Teachers, and was a charter member and first President of the Omicron Chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma National Honorary Society, when it was organized in Anaconda. Dora sponsored all most all of the High School Annuals and started the first Granite County Prospector and sponsored it from the first issue.[16]

The year of 1934, saw the loss of Addison Sanders Huffman, on October 3, after he suffered from a lingering illness for several months. Born in Hillsville, Virginia May 17, 1858, Ad, came to Philipsburg about 1884, went into the grocery business for awhile and then became active in politics. He was Granite County’s second Assessor, and then in partnership with his brother C.T., opened up their grocery store, he had been involved in up to the time of his death.  As stated in a previous paragraph, in 1888, Ad married Miss Lucy Burks and they had two boys and a girl. Lucy died May 28, 1916.

Survivors were: his second wife Lucy (Carpenter); daughter Mrs. William (Lottie) Bowen and sons, Rodney and Carroll Huffman; brothers: Reuben of Philipsburg and John of Galaxy, Virginia and sisters: Mrs. May Knapp of Galaxy, Virginia and Mrs. Betty Coulson of Hillsville, Virginia, plus seven grandchildren and nieces and nephews.

Lodge affiliations were Flint Creek Lodge No. 11 A. F. & A. M.; the Helena Consistory and the Algeria Shrine of Helena. As described in the preceding paragraphs, he served as Granite County Assessor and County Commissioner, during his almost 50 years in the area.

Funeral services were held on Friday October 5, at the Masonic Temple, to an overflow crowd, with internment in the family plot, in the Philipsburg cemetery. Pallbearers were: H.A. Featherman, A.J. Murray, John Hickey, A.H. Neal, E.T. Irvine and Charles Hyder.

Friends attending the funeral from out of town were: John Rodda, Mr. and Mrs. Grover Bowles, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Wyman, and Mr. and Mrs. Harold Wyman of Rock Creek; George Mungas of Willow Creek; J.H.M. Florey of Maxville; F.M. Morse, Mr. and Mrs. Charles J. Anderson, Mrs. S.J. Barrett, Mr. and Mrs. J.A. Thomas, Alfred Johnson, Erik V. Johnson, M.H. Henderson, Peter Furhman and Allen Conn of Hall; W.G. Ott and J.W. Johnson of Drummond; Judge and Mrs. R.E. McHugh, Mrs. Grace Fritzberg, Wm. P. Jones, Tom P. McGrath, and Thomas O’ Brian of Anaconda; Mr. and Mrs. George O. Burks and Miss Beth and George Jr. of Deer Lodge and Mr. and Mrs. Walter Dorsett of Bozeman .[17]

A few weeks later, an issue of the Mail, published a eulogy by Sandbar Brown in which he remembered Ad, with many kind words regarding his courteous and thoughtful manner, including the saying:

It used to be said that Ad sold the goods and Cos put it on the books--where much of it was to remain forever. But what of it! These brothers left behind a reputation for honesty, integrity and humaneness that is an immortal gift to but few.
Mrs. Cosmo T. (Elizabeth) Huffman supervised the social event of the year when her daughter Miss Florence Ethel, married Francis Scott Neal, at the C.T. Huffman family home, on September 26, 1937. Mr. Neal, the son of Mr. and Mrs. A.H. Neal, of the city and a graduate of Montana State College, was employed as a chemist at the Moorlight Mining Company. Mrs. Neal graduated from the Philipsburg schools and the University of Montana. She had been employed as a teacher since her graduation. The bride was given in marriage by her uncle William C. Bowen. Miss Elza Huffman, sister of the bride, was the maid of honor and her sister Dora Pennington, played the Mendelssohn’s wedding march. Francis Duffy, of Anaconda was the best man.  Mrs. Lucy Huffman assisted the bride’s mother in receiving the guests and Miss Lucy Mae Bowen, Miss Mary Bowen, and Miss Helen Metcalf assisted in serving the guests. The newlyweds left after the ceremony for Salt Lake City and then would tour Mexico. They made their home in Philipsburg.[18]

Francis Scott Neal’s, father, Mr. A.H. Neal was discussed previously when he received the Postmaster appointment, in 1921, after Lawrence Hauck left the position. Born to this marriage was Steven, Virginia and Florence. Steven continued operation of his father's photography business and has remained in the Neal home. Recently Virginia returned and is residing with Steven.

Other news notes carried in the Philipsburg Mail were: Dorothy Mae Huffman was one of ten students graduated from Granite County High School on May 20, 1943. Clifford Huffman, a student of Carroll College in Helena, was home to spend the holiday season, with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. R. J. Huffman, according to an article in the December 24, 1943 edition. Geraldine Katherine Huffman, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Carroll Huffman and William Joiner Mickey, son of Mrs. Dora Mickey, were united in marriage at the St. Philip’s Catholic Church, Monday morning September 16...” stated the September 20, 1946, wedding announcements. The bride was attended by her sister, Mrs. Edsel Haile and the groom was attended by Mr. Edsel Haile. The bride attended nursing school first at Great Falls and then at St. Patrick’s in Missoula.

Carroll’s wife, Helene Roe Huffman died on February 19, 1952, at the hospital after a long illness. Born August 9, 1902, she married Carroll in 1923. Survivors were: Her husband, Son William who was a high school senior; daughter, Mrs. Edsel Haile and Mrs. Joiner Mickey, plus the extended Huffman and Roe family. Services were held at St. Philip’s Catholic Church, with internment in the Philipsburg cemetery.[19]

A picture of Carroll and Rod Huffman was in a 1963, Mail, with them proudly showing off the Huffman Grocery Store expansion, just completed by Bryan Hynes and Carl Maehl. The article stated “The proprietor’s of Huffman Grocery, the oldest grocery store of the same name and same family, are proud of this new facility and the future prosperity of the community is reflected in their investment”.[20] 

There is a file card in the Philipsburg City Hall, stating C.T. Huffman and two baby girls are buried in block twenty one, lot four, grave seven, but there is no headstone. In grave six is the headstone for Dr. Clifford T. Huffman who was born May 26, 1924, to Mr. and Mrs. Rodney J. Huffman. After graduating from Medical School, at the School of Medicine, St. Louis University, in 1952.  He also served in WWII in the U.S. Navy.  Dr. Huffman engaged in a general medical practice in Philipsburg and delivered my first child Timothy on January 15, 1958. He left this practice to provide care at Galen Hospital and died January 17, 2002, with burial in the family plot.[21]

Doctor Huffman was a very caring person. One morning my dog went outside early in the morning. When he came back in I realized he had dug out a container of rat poison from under the cabin in front of our bungalow. I gave my raw eggs and milk, which would have been cooked for my breakfast, mixed with melted lard to the dog and cried until my mother agreed to take the dog to town. There was no veterinarian located in Philipsburg, but upon my insistence mom took me and the dog into Dr. Huffman’s office. Against his better judgment he let me talk him into examining my dog and administered him a vitamin K injection. 

The dog survived and while Dr. Huffman was caring for me during my first pregnancy he frequently commented about how determined I was to get care for my dog. When I was five weeks from my due date for delivery, Dr. Huffman saw me out on Georgetown Lake ice fishing and was adamant that I should not be there.  He did not desire to deliver a baby in that environment. When I went into labor the next week, the first words he said as he walked into the delivery room were “See aren’t you glad you are not out on the lake, ice fishing!”

Concerning the remaining Huffman’s: Rodney Huffman, born in 1891, died in 1971 and is buried in the Philipsburg cemetery; Carroll M. Huffman, born in 1901, died in 1988 and his ashes were spread over Rock Creek, with a headstone placed in the family plot in the Philipsburg cemetery. The grocery store continues to operate. Now located at the west end of Philipsburg, the Huffman name is still on the store front, although it has been owned by a number of other people in the past few decades.


Another prominent family, whose name is well known in Granite County, is Winninghoff. Fortunately, Bob Winninghoff loaned me a copy of the Family Tree of the Minnesota/Montana Winninghoff Family, so I was able to sort out who belonged to each family. This history was compiled by Vince Winninghoff and published, after a family reunion, in 1998.

The family history begins with Joseph Winninghoff, born in Furstenau, the Kingdom of Hannover, about 1825-1828. He immigrated to New York from Bremman, Germany on the Windjammer Brig. Telegraph, May 24, 1841 and said he was 20 years of age, but was really about 13. The 1850 Census has Joseph living and working in Rotterdam, New York, as a broom maker in a broom factory. By 1856, he had migrated through Ohio, Michigan and into Victoria/Chanhassen, Minnesota. “At some point he met Michael Ess, his future father-in-law and Joseph Iten, the father to Theresa Iten who became the wife of Frank Winninghoff (Daddy Pa)”. This family is known by their nicknames, so I will always include the known nicknames, when I reference them.

Joseph and Victoria Ess were married (place and date unavailable in the Family History document) and had ten children: Rose, Michael, Frank Xavier, Mary Ann, George, Josephine, Frances, Florian, Barbara and Rudolph. Rudolph died at about one year of age. Joseph was a blacksmith by trade, a businessman and involved in local and national politics in the democratic and reform party. He died at the age of about fifty nine, in 1887, from blood poisoning. 

Victoria Ess, was the third oldest of eleven children, born June 5, 1830 (her headstone states 1829), in Burgber, Schwaben, in the Kingdom of Bavaria. Her mother was Genovefa Kracker, who married Michael Ess, in 1827, in Burgberg. Michael, born in 1792, in Burgberg, lived to be seventy nine and died in 1879, in Chaska, Minnesota, and was buried at the Guardian Angel Catholic Cemetery. Genvoefa’s, death date and resting place are not known.

The family history goes on to say that Frank “Daddy Pa” “appears to be the brave one of the family and ventured out of Minnesota to Montana in 1883”. Evidenced by the following news articles, Florian and George soon followed Frank and also migrating was their mother, Victoria, who died in Philipsburg in 1916. 

Frank, born August 18, 1861 in Chaska, Minnesota…was a blacksmith in Minnesota, where work was not abundant, so he hired on the Northern Pacific Railroad in 1883, as a blacksmith, ending up in Stevensville, Montana where they were building the branch line up the Bitter Root. He heard about Philipsburg and hired out helping drive stock, to Philipsburg, over the Burnt Fork Trail…In 1887, he had Theresa Iten “Little Momma” meet him in Helena, Montana, where they were married in the St. Helena Cathedral. They then came to Garrison by train and on to Philipsburg by Stage Coach.[22] 
In another section of the family history it stated Frank, moved to Philipsburg in 1886, as copied from his obituary[23].

Children born to Theresa and Frank “Daddy Pa”, were: Wilford born November 11, 1887; Rose born November 30, 1889; Frank Xavier “Heck” born April 29, 1892; Eugene born January 21, 1893 and died March 1893 (His headstone states 1894); Vincent born January 19, 1895; George “Doy” born July 18, 1897; Florence born August 31, 1899; John “Pete” born December 1, 1904; Edward Robert “Heinie” born December 19, 1906; and twin Robert Edward born December 19, 1906 and died February 14, 1907.

The first mention found of Frank in the newspapers was: “Sheriff (Cole) will sell at public auction on October 9, 1893, to satisfy a mortgage held by Frank Winninghoff, certain property belonging to George Coulter” in the October 4, 1893, issue of the Citizen Call

Next research of the newspapers revealed that Flo Winninghoff attended the Fire Brigade Masquerade Ball of Philipsburg in a costume of Hoodoo and George Winninghoff was dressed as a clown, according to the January 3, 1895, Philipsburg Mail.

Then, I found George, was elected Assistant Chief, of the Philipsburg Fire Brigade in January 1897 and his name was listed among the Philipsburg men that volunteered for the Spanish American War.
The family history stated that little is known about George, born December 20, 1864 in Chaska, Minnesota. He was a blacksmith, and a ladies man, who advertised his availability in a local newspaper and he married a woman named Anna. She died after being ill three months, on February 14, 1923. She returned, with George from Astoria, Illinois, the previous summer and seemed in good health, until she became ill in November. Several weeks before her death, she went to Missoula for a surgical procedure, but the doctor’s determined she was too ill for the surgery. George took her body back to Astoria, Illinois on February 16.  Other survivors were: her mother, three brothers and a sister, but none of them are named in the obituary, published in the February 16, 1923, Philipsburg Mail.

Next, I found where George stepped back into a circular buzz saw, while helping his brother Florian, in March of 1925. His right arm was cut on the top part, from almost the elbow to the hand, cutting between the second and third finger to the palm, with an artery cut in the ring finger, but it was believed the finger could be saved.

The next article I found was George’s obituary. He died May 2, 1926, at his home, at the age of sixty one. After moving to Montana thirty years before, he and his wife, moved to Astoria, Illinois, then returned to Philipsburg, in 1917. He had been employed at the Hickey Mill. The remains were shipped to Astoria, Illinois, where he was buried next to his wife and son (not named). George was survived by three sisters in Seattle and two brothers, Florian and Frank, in Philipsburg.[24]

There was a Winninghoff wedding, of Miss Mary Orr, to Florian Winninghoff, on January 22, 1899. The ceremony was held in the Catholic Church, with Miss Teresa Orr and Mr. Charles Arthurson, as bridesmaid and groomsman. Reverend R. DeRyckere, performed the service, then the wedding couple and guests were driven to the Orr home, on Kearney St. for a wedding supper. Both of the young people are well known and highly respected in this community, where they had made their home for many years, and especially the bride who grew up in Philipsburg from childhood. Mr. Winninghoff was a highly respected young man, very popular with his associates, and of many good traits and excellent habits. The members of the Philipsburg Cornet Band surprised the happy couple about 10 o‘clock in the evening with several selections, to which the groom promptly responded and in a manner very appropriate to the occasion.  After the wedding the couple settled into a cottage on Sutter Street.[25]

Florian’s father-in-law, Joseph Orr Sr., died of heart failure on February 12, 1901, at his daughter Tessie’s, home. Born in Ireland about sixty five years prior, he was survived by daughter Tessie, her husband Florian; and sons: John and Joseph Jr. Mr. Orr, was interred in the Philipsburg cemetery, next to his wife, who died in 1893. Neither Joseph Orr, nor his wife has a headstone. Florian was active in mining, according to the Family History and after Mary died he became reclusive. Mary, fifty one or two years old, when she died in a Butte Hospital, the week of September 20, 1929, had been in critical condition for five weeks and ill for over a year, from undisclosed problems. She moved to Philipsburg, with her parents at the age of five, making the trip from Deer Lodge by Stage Coach, thus, living forty seven years in the city. Requiem High Mass was celebrated by Rev. John O’Malley, at St. Philip’s Catholic Church, on September 23.  Pallbearers were: John Murray, C.E. Kennedy, John O’Donnell, Matt Manley, Edward Miller and Henry Price. The obituary stated her age as fifty one and the funeral notice stated fifty two.[26]

According to the Family History, after Mary‘s death Florian lived alone in a cabin about thirty miles out of P-Burg. He made over $1 million in WWI, mining for manganese and he lost it all. When Wilford Joseph Winninghoff, knew him his needs were slight. If he needed a few dollars, he’d go down to the river right near his cabin and pan for gold. He could usually come up with enough in a couple of hours to buy a month's supply of coffee, tobacco, evaporated milk and the like. Florian died in 1941, and was buried next to Mary, in the Philipsburg cemetery.

Florian and Mary’s first born, Margaret, born in November 1903, in Philipsburg, married Earl Warwick. The marriage did not produce any children, but they helped raise their nephew and niece, Richard Winninghoff’s children: Jack and Bernadine.

Richard was the second born, of the Florian family, in 1899, and married Rosalie (Rosalee) Gallagher. The wedding was on March 4, 1919, at the Catholic Parsonage, with Rev. Meade, performing the ceremony. Rosalie was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Gallagher. 

Rosalie’s parents, Bridget and Peter Gallagher, were early boom time settlers of Granite. Peter “served several times as a magistrate of justice of the township court in the prosperous camp”. They moved to Butte, thirty years before his death on December 30, 1933. After a funeral in Butte, Peter’s body was brought to Philipsburg where he was interred next to his sons John and Dr. Peter and daughter Rosalie, who all preceded him in death. They are buried in block twenty, lot thirty two, graves four through seven. Unfortunately Peter does not have a headstone.

Surviving relatives were: Wife Bridget; daughters: Mrs. Harry Anderson of Missoula, Mrs. James Drake of Atherton, Mrs. Helen Neil of Oakland, California and Mrs. Phil Ryan of Philipsburg; and son William of Butte. Pallbearers were: John Gallagher, William Gallagher, Pat Peoples, Everett Ballard, William Peoples and John Drake.[27]

To Rosalie and Richard’s marriage, was born three children: Bernadine (Boots), John and Francis. Rosalie Winninghoff died in 1925, and is interred in the Philipsburg cemetery, Block twenty, lot thirty two, grave four, but does not have a headstone. 

There must have been some type of problem, prior to her death, as research revealed the following, in the May 29, 1925, Philipsburg Mail: “Cases set for Trial June term of Court: Rosalie Winninghoff vs. Richard Winninghoff set for trial at 9:30 o’clock am Wednesday June 10, 1925”. Then, on July 3, 1925 was published: “Winninghoff Case: Judge James M. Self was disqualified by defendant”.  There are no further court notes regarding this case.

Next, I found in the November 6, 1925, Philipsburg Mail: “Mrs. P.J. Ryan of this city received a telephone message this afternoon from Butte, stating that her sister, Mrs. Rosalie Winninghoff, had died about 2:30 o’clock this afternoon. No particulars received”.

In the next issue of the Mail, was a short funeral notice stating Rev. M.J. Burke, officiated at a service held at St. Philip’s Catholic Church. Survivors were: three children: Jack, Francis and Bernadine, her parents Mr. and Mrs. Peter Gallagher, two brothers: W.C. of Butte and Peter of Portland, four sisters: Mrs. E.P. Ballard of Anaconda, Mrs. Phil Ryan, of Philipsburg, Mrs. H. J. Joyce, of Missoula and Mrs. William Neal, of Los Angeles. There was no mention of Richard, or that she was still married.

Her two oldest children, Bernadine and John, were cared for by Aunt Margaret Winninghoff Warwick and Aunt Tessie Orr Gehrig and her husband Louie. Francis was only three, when his mother died and was raised by Rosalee’s parents and went by the name of Gallagher. Francis served in the U.S. Army in World War II (WWII) and spent time with his father in California, where he died August 25, 1974. Both he and Richard, who died in 1954, are buried in the San Fernando Mission, California cemetery. 

Florian and Mary’s third child, Martin (Pat), born June 17,1905, in Philipsburg, died January, 1986, in Spokane and is buried next to Mary and Florian, in the Philipsburg cemetery. Sandy Winninghoff was born to Pat and Dorothy, unknown maiden name.

 “Master Wilford Winninghoff entertained a few of his young friends last evening with a magic lantern show”, according to a news article on January 2, 1896. This same young man was involved in more magic and a lot of hard work as evidenced by the following announcement that Joseph Wilford Winninghoff received the degree of Doctor of Philosophy. He graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, on June 9, 1914, according to an article published in the Mail, on June 12, 1914. I think maybe the article should read Doctor of Physiology. He received the degree Bachelor of Science at the University of Montana in 1910. Then pursued advanced studies at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, in chemistry and physics, from October 1910. He was an assistant in theoretical chemistry at the Institute in 1913-1914, and during this time carried on research of certain applications of the Ionic Theory of Solution. His thesis described these investigations and was presented to the faculty May 23, 1913.[28]

Wilford graduated from Granite County High School in the class of 1906. Then served as a Captain in the U.S. Army, during WWII and died July 8, 1959. His military headstone is in the Philipsburg cemetery. 

Frank (Heck) Winninghoff Jr. married Miss Dorothy Grace, on April 25, 1927, in Missoula.  Frank, left for Butte, to take a civil service exam and no one suspected he had other plans. Miss Dorothy was from Butte and for the past ten months, had been working at the Banquet Café, in Philipsburg. Frank, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Winninghoff, graduated from Granite County High School and attended the University of Montana. During WWI, he served with the A.E. F. Most recently he had been associated with his father, in the blacksmith and wagon repairing business. After a honeymoon in western Montana the couple made their home in Philipsburg. When the couple returned from their honeymoon they were met by the Philipsburg Fire Brigade who took the young couple on a tour of the town in the fire truck. Then, the bride was taken home and Heck Winninghoff stood for the treats at the Firehall.[29]

Next, I found a news article in the June 24, 1927, Philipsburg Mail, stating Frank “Heck” and George “Doy” Winninghoff, under the name of Winninghoff Bros., were remodeling the brick building, at the corner of Broadway and California Street, for a gasoline filling station. The building had formerly been used by Frank Winninghoff Sr. for a blacksmith and repair shop. Arches were cut in the front of the building for an automobile driveway and the entire room had been plastered.  Two gasoline pumps were installed and as soon as the cement driveway is installed the boys would be ready to serve the public. Besides handling gasoline and oils, there would be tires and accessories, plus car washes and light service work.

Francis (Heck) Winninghoff, died at the Granite County Hospital April 6, 1956, after being ill for several years. Through out the articles, in the Philipsburg Mail he is referred to as Francis, but the Family History, has his given name as Frank Xavier, the same as his father. His military headstone in the Philipsburg cemetery has his name as Francis X.  Born in Philipsburg on April 29, 1892, to Mr. and Mrs. Frank X. Winninghoff, “Heck” served in WWI and received an honorable discharge, from Fort D.A. Russell, Wyoming, on August 11, 1919. 

As stated above in the marriage announcement, he was married on April 26, 1927, to Miss Dorothy Grace, from Butte, in St. Anthony Catholic Church, in Missoula and was survived by his wife and three daughter: Kay (Catherine Grace) of Philipsburg; Mrs. William (Winnifred, but called Shirley and Shoose) Carroll, of Butte and Sister Marcella (Frances) of Billings; plus three grandchildren and sisters: Mrs. Henry (Florence) Calanchini and Mrs. Rose Brogan of Eureka, California and brothers: W.J. Winninghoff of Bellview, Washington; V.C. Winninghoff of Los Angeles, California; George, John. W. and Edward of Philipsburg; and five brother-in-law and sister-in-law, on his wife’s side of the family. Requiem Mass was held, April 10, 1956 at St. Philip’s Catholic Church, with Father Lionel O. Legris and the funeral sermon was given by Monsignor Vincent Kavanagh, President of Carroll College in Helena. Father Humphrey Courtney of Carroll College was also present. Committal prayers were given by all the fathers at the graveside and the American Legion Officers held military graveside rites. Pallbearers were: R.J. Huffman, Roy M. Greenheck, Walter Kaiser, Cleve Metcalf Sr. and Roy McLeod of Philipsburg and Malcolm Hughes of Drummond.[30]

Heck and Grace’s daughter, Frances Ann, was born March 8, 1928, in Butte, Montana; graduated from Granite County High School, in the class of 1946; then graduated from Carroll College in Helena, Montana with a degree in Nursing. She then entered Sisters of Charity of Levenworth, Kansas, where she became a nun and took the name of Sister Marcella. 

The second daughter Shirley (Shooshe) was born September 20, 1929, in Philipsburg. Noted is a news article that Shirley Winninghoff was one of twenty students receiving their eighth grade diplomas on May 19, 1943. She graduated from Granite County High School with the class of 1947.  Shooshe married William K. Carroll on May 21, 1951 at St. Phillip’s Catholic Church in Philipsburg. To this marriage was born eight children; three were born in Butte and the other five were born in Spokane, Washington.

Heck and Grace’s, third daughter, Catherine Grace, born June 9, 1939, in Butte, married Leo David Miller, February 11, 1961 in Lynwood California and they had six children.

The April 13, 1928, Philipsburg Mail, carried the announcement of the marriage of Vincent C. Winninghoff to Miss Anna (Anne) M. Brooks, on Monday April 9, in Los Angeles, California. Vince, born January 9, 1895, had been working in a U.S. Post Office position in Los Angeles for several years. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Winninghoff, and after graduating from Granite County High School won an appointment to the U.S. Naval Academy in either 1912 or 1913 and was rejected secondary to a minor eye condition. Later he served in the A.E. F., in France in WWI. The newly weds made their home in Los Angeles. Vince, was a student at the University of Montana, and “conceived and designed the automobile automatic transmission and the flowing rear axles for automobiles, as we know them today” according to the Family History. He also created and implemented the initial Zip Code, for the U.S. Postal Service, in Los Angeles, California and this later became the foundation for the Zip Code, utilized in the present time.

 Born to Vince and Anne were: Elizabeth Ann who died at the age of 33 on May 29, 1963 in Atwater, California; Vincent Charles; Barbara Clare and Francis Joseph all living in California.

The death of Mrs. Frank X. (Theresa G. Iten) Winninghoff occurred on August 11, 1928, after a surgery in St. James Hospital, from heart failure. The obituary does not give her parents or maiden name, but it is known by the Family History.  Born near St. Paul, Minnesota on February 14, 1863, she, at the age of twenty four came to Helena, Montana, where she married Frank Winninghoff, on February 27, 1887. After their marriage they moved to Philipsburg, according to the obituary, but this is incongruent with the family history detailed in a previous paragraph. The funeral was held from the family home and proceeded to St. Philip’s Catholic Church, where requiem high mass was celebrated by Father John O’Malley. Pall bearers were: John J. Orr, D.M. Durfee, John O’Donnell, Dr. W.I. Power, Angus Johnson, Angus A. Murray, James McGowan, and John J. McDonald and she was interred in the Philipsburg cemetery. Survivors were: her husband; daughters, Mrs. Thomas N. (Rose) Brogan of Butte, and Miss Florence Winninghoff of Philipsburg; sons, Wilford of South Orange, New Jersey, Vincent of Los Angeles, California, Francis, George and Edward (and John W. who was omitted from the obituary) of Philipsburg; and one sister: Mrs. Mary Tuff of St. Paul, Minn. and one niece and two nephews.[31]

The family history stated Frank, always followed his blacksmith trade, but obviously knew how to work as a plumber too, because at the June 6, 1904, City Council meeting the bond application was read and referred to the judiciary committee from Frank Winninghoff, to become plumber for the city. The judiciary committee found the bond to be sufficient and “on motion it was duly approved”.

A news article found stated: “Misses Mary Brown, Florence Winninghoff and Catherine Hauck, returned to Missoula Sunday morning to continue their studies at the University of Montana after spending the holiday with their parents”, in January of 1920.

Then was an announcement that Miss Florence Winninghoff was convalescing after being confined to her home for the past several weeks with an attack of pneumonia was in the Philipsburg Mail, on December 7, 1928. 

There was a note of interest in the same issue, where the Health Department placed a quarantine on the City of Philipsburg,
closing all Schools, Theatres, Churches, Lodges, Dance Halls and regulating the congregating of people in Pool Halls and Soft Drink Parlors. It is the urgent request of the City Council and myself that the people of Philipsburg give their earnest co-operation in this order Signed R.D. Metcalf, Mayor. 
Florence, born August 31, 1899 to Frank and Theresa, was married in September 1930, to Henry Dante Calanchini at St. Phillip’s Church in Philipsburg. To this marriage two children were born: Philip R. and Eugene Francis. Both were born in Eureka, California and Florence died in Eureka on May 5, 1993.

Another Winninghoff wedding was announced when John W. “Pete” Winninghoff and Elizabeth “Beth” McRae were married June 2, 1930. Pete had been working for the California Telephone Company for a year and Beth had taught school in Hall for two years.  Research revealed an article where she spent the weekend in Philipsburg, with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Rod McRae, on October, 19, 1928, while teaching in Hall.[32] 
Pete was the son of Mr. and Mrs. (Theresa) Frank X. Winninghoff and Beth was the daughter of Roderick D. and Elizabeth (Bessie) Sprague McRae.

Beth’s father, Roderick D. McRae was born to R.D. (1845-1923) and Minerva McRae, who came by wagon train in the late 1860, to the Flint Creek valley. R.D. was from Ontario, Canada and Minerva from Missouri. Roderick was born in Henderson Gulch on August 26, 1874. He married Miss Elizabeth Sprague on January 10, 1907, after attending Philipsburg schools and then College in Deer Lodge. At the time of his death, on February 19, 1935, survivors were wife Bessie, his mother Minerva; daughters Beth Winninghoff, Frances, Della and Morgery McRae, all of Philipsburg and Mrs. James Cothrell of Bend, Oregon; two sons: Roderick Jr. and Duncan of Philipsburg; three sisters: Mrs. F.R. Holten, of Spokane, Mrs. Paul Cyr, of Missoula and Mrs. Charles Powell, of Philipsburg; and two brothers: William, of Hall and John M., of Butte. Roderick was interred in the family plot in the Philipsburg cemetery. Bessie (Elizabeth Sprague) McRae, born in Tower in 1884, died three years after her husband, Roderick in 1938.

Beth’s grandmother, Minerva McRae, born in 1856 died in 1940 and is buried next to their daughter Minnie, who died at the age of one year and two months on February 22, 1899. Minnie is buried next to her father, R.D.

J.W. (Pete) Winninghoff, born December 1, 1904, in Philipsburg died December 6, 1972, in Philipsburg and was survived by his wife Beth and children: Margery “Dutch” Metesh, Theresa “Jean” Gochanour Getzlaff, Judy Loobey and John “Oreo”. 

He was preceded in death by infant daughter Mary, whose headstone in the Philipsburg cemetery has the name Mary Catherine Winninghoff, September 12, 1935 and the file card at City Hall states, baby of J.W. The Family History stated her birth and death dates as 1934. Her grave is next to Victoria born 1829 and died 1916; Eugene born 1894 and died 1894; and Robert born 1906 and died 1907, in block nineteen, lot twenty six, graves four through seven.

Pete owned and managed the original Sweet Palace, then the Goode Shop restaurant and floral shop which included the Trailways bus depot for years. The shop was located on Broadway, in the historic Degenhart building. His daughter Judy stated he began making candy in 1929. 

At the age of fourteen, I worked for Pete and Beth as a waitress, for seventy five cents and hour and assisted Beth, when she was overwhelmed with corsages for the Junior Prom, Senior Ball and floral arrangements for large funerals. The tradition has been carried on, by daughter Judy Winninghoff Loobey, operating under the name The Gallery and Floral, in the same location as her mom and dad.
Over the years, little had changed in the Degenhart Building, except the booths were replaced with tables, the jukebox is gone and the ice cream freezer and sundae toppings and soda flavors are not behind the counter. The pump levers for the syrups were in easy reach of customers, allowing them to squirt the sticky substance down the front of your blouse, while you bent over the freezer to scoop ice cream. As of 2016, Judy no longer owns the building and it is a BBQ restaurant "up and Smokin."

Beth, born in 1907 died in 1998 and is interred next to Pete and their son John “Oreo”.  Pete and Beth’s first born, Margery “Dutch”, born June 8, 1931, in Los Angeles, California, graduated from Granite County High School, with the class of 1949, and married William Metesh in 1955. To this marriage was born nine children. The Family History, has the order of the children’s births intermingled and the incorrect date for the birth and death of William Peter as 1961. The date on his headstone is 1955. Their son, Joseph “Jo Jo”, born August 8, 1958, died November 8, 1975, and daughter Margery “Puddin”, born February 19, 1956, died October 11, 1994, in Butte, Montana.

Dutch’s husband, William H. Metesh, born in 1926, spent his life as a rancher on upper Flint Creek and died in 1981. He is buried in the Philipsburg cemetery.

The other children born to Dutch and William were: Mark born July 5, 1953 in Philipsburg; Lorene (Renee) born May 27, 1957 in Butte; William born January 13, 1959 in Philipsburg; Jeannie born June 2, 1960 in Philipsburg; Brian born March 3, 1962 in Anaconda and David born March 15, 1964 in Philipsburg. Currently living in Philipsburg are Brian, Bill, David, Mark and their families.
Bill married Lisa Edgar, daughter of Jerry and Janice Edgar and they have three children: Dustin, Billy and Jerry.

David married Kara Cutler, and to this marriage was born Ashley in 1984. They divorced and David married Becky Jo Hess, daughter of Jim and Dell Dose Hess, and grand daughter of T.R. Bus Hess. Born to this marriage were three children Preston, Sierra and Avery.  Ashley graduated from the University of Washington in Seattle, with a Bachelor degree in Art History, in the spring of 2005, and was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant on June 10, 2005, in the U.S. Army. She then attended the Military Intelligence Officer Basic Course in Fort Hauchuca, Arizona.[33]

Mark married Kathy Tracy, and to this marriage was born Melissa and Lianne. Mark and Kathy divorced and he married Delores. Born to this marriage were Cody, Jessie and Wade.

Dutch lived an active life as a working artist who exhibits her artwork at many Granite county functions.  Her large family has assured the Winninghoff-Metesh name surviving for many more years in the county.  In 1982, Dutch opened the Guilio Gallery, on Highway 1, just around the corner, east of the Skalkaho Highway turn off. As of 2016 she continues to be the matriarch of this large family.

The studio was named after John Guiglio, who purchased the ranch with his partner Emil Castuche about 1907. John died from injuries after his team ran away with him, on November 8, 1927. His partner helped him cut poles and then went home and made supper. When John did not arrive for supper, he went looking for him and found the team with the poles dumped from the wagon. He called John’s name and when he answered, found him seriously injured. Emil picked him up and loaded him on the wagon, where John lost consciousness and by the time they arrived at the cabin, had died. Coroner J.J. Carmichael determined the cause of death as accidental. John was buried in the Philipsburg cemetery. Survivors were: cousins, Misses Marina and Kate Julio and Mrs. Matt Bergamaschi.[34]

Beth and Pete Winninghoff’s second daughter Theresa “Jean”, born August 11, 1934, married Mervin Kenneth Gochanour, the son of Clyde and Marie Gibson Gochanour on October 19, 1950, in Philipsburg. To this marriage was born Patricia Lynn, Lorinda Marie, Elizabeth Jeannie, Kenneth Dewayne, John William and Steven Eugene. Mervin died in a car accident. Jean’s second marriage was to Alvin Getzlaff and to this union was born Belinda Kim.

Jean’s second daughter, Lorinda Gochanour, married Terry Walter, and they are the parents of Robbie Walter of Columbia Falls, who  married Jacquelyn Bohrnsen. Jackie is the daughter of Hans and Carol Bohrnsen and grand daughter of Edward Bohrnsen and the late Eldridge and Irene Petersen of Philipsburg. The wedding date was July 12, 2008, in Philipsburg at the Bohrnsen family ranch on Willow Creek.

The third child of Pete and Beth named Judith, was born in Butte on September 14, 1940.  She married Allan Loobey, the son of Arthur and Beryl Harbour Loobey on November 5, 1960, in Drummond.  To this marriage was born Allan Lawrence, Theresa Rae, Cheryl Lynn, Clinton Bryce and Jonelle Marie. Currently living in Philipsburg is Judy and her daughter Theresa.

Theresa married Steve Jed Dunkerson and they had three children: Heather, Steven and Tara. Theresa is now divorced and has returned to the name Loobey. Allan and his wife Jennifer live in Missoula and have two children Kyrie Elizabeth and Joshua Allan. Cheryl married Todd Hansen son of Grag and Beverly Hoff Hanson and they have one child:  Elizabeth Fay born in Anchorage, Alaska January 15, 1996.

Allan Loobey died in an accident at Black Pine on February 12, 1981 and is interred in the Philipsburg cemetery. Judy later married Barry Vest and they are now divorced.

The youngest child, of the Pete Winninghoff family was John F. “Oreo”, born March 5, 1945 in Philipsburg. He married Florence Ann Engrave, October 10, 1974 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Born to this union were: Carma, Beth Ann and David. John and Ann divorced in 1997.  John died June 4, 2001 according to Family History or June 14, according to his headstone and is buried in the Philipsburg cemetery. His daughter Carma is the only one discussed in the Family History.  She was born December 15, 1968, in Philipsburg.  She married Wayne A Wittwer and they have three children: Kendra Dwan, Shelton Scott and Colton Thomas, all born in Missoula.

The first reference found in the news articles regarding Mr. George “Doy” A. Winninghoff, was that George A. Winninghoff had returned, from Detroit, Michigan.  He had spent several weeks specializing on automobile construction, in one of the large automobile factories according to the Philipsburg Mail, May 7, 1920.  Next I found where he
stole a march on his friends when he mysteriously slipped away and was quietly married in Missoula to Miss Pauline Rollman of Butte, on November 26, 1934. The ceremony was performed in Butte at St. Anthony’s Parish by Rev. O’Brien. Following the service the couple took a motor trip to California.[35]
The couple was charvaried up and down Broadway and then to the American Legion Club rooms, when they returned from their honeymoon on December 11, 1934.  

George “Doy” was the sixth child born to Frank and Theresa, on July 18, 1897. To the union of Doy and Pauline, three children were born: Paul George on April 13, 1936 in Butte; Philip Frances born on November 26, 1938 also in Butte and Rose Marie born November 16, 1940, in Butte. According to the writings of Rosie Winninghoff Olsen, Doy and Pauline bought a ranch six miles south of Philipsburg, when Rosie was five years old. She described the experience as moving from one of the nicer homes in P-Burg to a “decrepit old farm house”.  She felt the worst part of the farm house was no indoor plumbing, which soon changed, providing the family with an indoor tub and toilet. She continued on stating “My dad loved the ranch…my Mom…well, my Mom loved my Dad”. 

Apparently Doy, being an excellent mechanic soon found available wrecked vehicles and converted them into haying and ranching equipment, so hay was only put up with horses and man power for a short time. Doy had a heart attack, when Rosie was sixteen years old, right in the middle of haying. Aunt Florence and Uncle Henry came from California to help Rosie and the boys finish putting up the hay, while Pauline stayed in Butte, with her brother to be near Doy in the Butte hospital. 

Paul graduated from Granite County High School with the class of 1954 and married Maria Theresa Dejarano on February 27, 1965, in San Francisco, California. To this marriage two children were born: Lynn Marie and Ivy Theresa.  

Philip graduated from Granite County High School with the class of 1956 and married Peggy Riley June 23, 1973 in Butte Montana. He earned a Bachelor degree in Architecture and a Master’s degree in Applied Science, from Montana State University, and published a book of fiction The Frequency Bug in 2002.

Rose Marie “Rosie” graduated from Granite County High School with the class of 1958 and married Ronald Olsen, the son of Fredrick and Catherine Olsen on November 27, 1961, in Philipsburg. To this marriage five children were born: Ronda, born August 2, 1962; Teresa, born September 11, 1963; Jeffery Shawn, born January 10, 1965; Deborah Renae, born May 17, 1966 and Jon Joseph, born January 18, 1969. They were all born in Townsend, Montana. 

A notice was found in the January 21, 1938, Philipsburg Mail, stating: “A petition for the voluntary dissolution of Winninghoff Motors Inc., a corporation, was filed in the district court on Tuesday; Judge McHugh set the petition for hearing on Wednesday February 23.  After the dissolution the business must have been run by Heine.

Doy died March 25, 1986 and Pauline died April 6, 1991, and they are buried next to each other in the Philipsburg cemetery.

Edward Robert “Heine” Winninghoff, born December 19, 1906, was the ninth child born to Frank and Theresa. His twin Robert Edward died February 14, 1907, in Philipsburg, Montana and is buried in the Philipsburg cemetery. A picture of Edward “Heinie” Winninghoff allowing little Johnny Hauck, to ride in his wagon built by Mr. Winninghoff, in 1912, was given to me from a collection of newspaper photo’s saved by Buss Hess, over the years. Heine married Mary (Miss Mae A.) Foote, from Butte, on September 14, 1931, in Butte, Montana, at the Church of St. John the Evangelist. At the time of the wedding Heinie was working at Winninghoff Motors, according to the September 18, 1931, Philipsburg Mail.

To this union, four children were born: Robert Edward, (the same name as Heine’s deceased twin brother) born September 17, 1932, in Philipsburg; Margaret Alice, born August 23, 1934, in Butte; William, born January 24, 1943 in Butte; and Michael, born August 26, 1951, in Butte. Mae, known as Mary, born in 1905 died in 1980 and is buried in the Philipsburg cemetery. Heine died on November 25, 1997 and is buried beside Mae.

Their son, Robert Edward “Bob”, married Carol Ray Bowman, the daughter of Martin and the late DeLone (Ray) Bowman, on April 14, 1956. To this union four children were born: Deann, on October 27, 1961 in Butte. She married and had two girls in Modesto, California. Next was Mary Jo, born on August 27, 1963 in Philipsburg. She lives in Missoula, works as a physical therapist and has a boy and a girl. Third was born Sarah Rae, on January 8, 1965, in Philipsburg. She married a Gallagher, lives in Butte and had a boy and a girl. Last born was Amy on October 20, 1969 in Missoula. She lives in Whitefish and has a son. Bob and Carol, continue to live an active social life, in Philipsburg.

Margaret Alice, “Heinie’s” second born, married Tom Davidson, on August 25, 1956 in St Phillip’s Church in Philipsburg. To this marriage four children were born: Dan on July 7, 1957, in Denver, Colorado; Laurie on July 22, 1958, in Denver; Lynn on September 14, 1960, in Denver; and Theresa Sue on December 27, 1963, also in Denver. Margaret died on July 23, 2004, of cancer in Westminster, Colorado.

The third born, William married Lee Rose in 1982, in Helena, Montana. They divorced in 1990, and he then met his second partner Donna Heikkinen, in 1991, in Helena. William and Donna have one child: Cassandria Mae Heikkinen born on September 27, 1992 in Butte, Montana.

Fourth born, Michael died April 25, 1999, of congestive heart failure and is buried in the Philipsburg cemetery.

I found very little about Miss Rose Winninghoff except that she was home for a brief visit while teaching school at Clancy, (Jefferson County) Montana, according to the December 26, 1913, Philipsburg Mail. The daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Winninghoff, she married Thomas Brogan and lived in Butte. The Family History has over 100 descendants listed and there is no way this chapter can discuss all of them. I hope the above does justice to the Winninghoff’s who have continued to live in Granite County.


Another family I have spoken of throughout the chapters was the Crowley family. They were early settlers in the Philipsburg and Granite area. Tom J. Crowley married Mary Delia Miller Sage, on June 2, 1895. They ran a boarding house on upper Broadway, in Philipsburg and took over the contract to care for the county poor and infirmed, in 1901.

Mary, born on June 2, 1869, in Milhurd County Utah, came to Philipsburg with her parents, when quiet young (about 1882). The family lived in one of the cabins near Kroger’s Brewery, and then moved to the Bitter Root. On October 14, 1883, Mary married J. Riley Sage and the newly weds returned to Philipsburg. To the marriage, was born a son Clarence. In 1891, Mr. Sage died, leaving Mary a widow with a small son. Four years later, she married T.J.  Mary died in a Butte Hospital, after having surgery, on January 28, 1902. She had been to both Missoula and Butte for medical treatment, as she was ill, for some time.

Survivors were: her husband, sons: Clarence Sage and Arthur Crowley, sister Orinda Riddle, living near Riverside and a brother living in Gebo, Montana. The funeral was at the family home with Rev. H.G. Wakefield, performing the service. Internment was in the Philipsburg cemetery with pallbearers: F.A. Beley, George Winninghoff, Frank Winninghoff, N.J. Connolly, W.W. Nebethal and J.C. 

Tom came to Philipsburg in 1885 and some time after Mary’s death, went to California, where he died on November 17, 1931 and was buried in California. His death notice does not identify survivors or any information about Arthur Crowley or Clarence Sage.

Dan Crowley, Tom’s brother, is discussed in Book II, Ranches around Philipsburg Chapter covering Sheriff, J.D. Kennedy, when Dan, was assaulted on Rock Creek. He continued to live an accident prone life.  Dan died from injuries he sustained when a big gray team, owned by G.A. Stephens’ turned a wagon over onto him due to a broken line on August 27, 1913: 
Mr. Crowley was caught under the wagon, or was run over, no one knows which, it all happened so quickly …and he sustained fatal internal injuries….He died about 10 hours later. 
Born on December 25, 1854, in Ireland, he was a resident of Philipsburg for thirty years and married Miss Lizzie Herman, in 1890. Lizzie was a niece of Mrs. Mary Schuh, who lived in the upper valley. Lizzie and Dan had three sons: Herman “Daniel”, Arthur, and Louis “Tex”. After a funeral at his residence in the Church Hill addition, Dan was buried in the Philipsburg cemetery. Pallbearers were: F.J. Wilson, A.R. McDonald, R. Saurer, Fred Tallon, Owen McBride, and E.L. Perey.

In the Crowley cemetery plot block nineteen, lot thirty seven, graves one-eight there are headstones for Charles G. who died September 19, 1891, at the age of three years one month and one day and Edna M. and Edgar J., twins, that lived twenty two and twenty three days; dying on October 10 and 11, 1892, all children of D.P. and M.E. Crowley and there are file cards for a Baby Herman and twins Clarina and Carra but no dates or ages listed. There is also a Baby Mary Crowley, file card for block sixteen, lot seven, grave three, but no date or age. I believe she was a child of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Crowley. I found where a son was born to them weighing fourteen pounds on May 13, 1896, in Philipsburg.

Mary Elizabeth “Lizzie” Herman Crowley, born June 21, 1868, worked for the Woodcraft organization. I found frequent reference where she stated the amount of insurance the deceased family would receive, such as:"Mrs. Elizabeth Crowley clerk of the Neighbors of Woodcraft says a check of $2,000 was received in insurance for the late Thomas Gorman" in the Philipsburg Mail, February 11, 1927.

She died September 5, 1953 and was interred next to Daniel, in the Philipsburg cemetery, as was their son Louis “Tex”, born June 13, 1906. “Tex” served as a Sergeant in the U.S. Army Air Corp, during WWII, and died July 19, 1996, in a nursing home in Deer Lodge. A large collection of pictures, now in the possession of LouAnn Fessler Sichveland belonged to Tex. He was Sichveland’s next door neighbor for many years. Herman Daniel and Arthur Crowley are discussed in the Patriot's chapter.[36]


Next I will discuss John G. McLean. Although their names are spelled the same, I have no evidence that he is related to the Norman McLean family. According to an article written in the Butte Evening News, on December 2, 1908, published in the Philipsburg Mail, on December 4, 1908, the Butte reporter asked him:
“Have you a large family Mr. McLean?” The old man did not reply for some minutes. Then a tear trickled down his seared and wrinkled cheek and he replied “No, I have no kin in the world”.
The interview was done while he was a patient at a Butte Hospital, where he had surgery for cataracts, which caused him almost total blindness. The article was headlined “Surgeons in Butte Hospital perform almost a miracle. Mr. McLean eighty years of age was practically blind but was now able to see the bright of day”.

At the time of the surgery he was still ranching on his property on Sluice Gulch, which is north of Antelope Gulch. I have included him in this chapter, as it is close to Philipsburg, as the crow flies and he was a blacksmith in town, for many years. While speaking to the Butte reporter, he said he came out west, when he wasn’t very old, traveling to California in 1850. He had learned the iron trade as a youngster so made his living mostly by blacksmithing. A short article in the Philipsburg Mail, June 27, 1919 announcing his death stated:

Captain John G. McLean died at the age of ninety one on June 26th, 1919. He was with the Stuart brothers (Granville and James), when they discovered gold on Gold Creek. An article regarding his life will be published next week”.
The article titled Passing of an Argonaut follows:
…Born in 1830 in the town of Fall River, Massachusetts, he acquired in his early years the reputation of a skilled mechanical blacksmith. Before attaining his majority an obstacle arose that prevented his marriage with a sweetheart won when both attended a country school. The event culminated in the immediate enlistment in a party of adventurers outfitting in his city for the gold mines in California. Leaving his home in September 1849, he arrived in San Francisco, California, via Nicaragua, March 20, 1850. From there he went to the placer mines in Marysville, established a shop and made a competence quickly. But the lure of adventure entered. With the abundance of money came no contentment to his mind. In the fall of 1856 he left for Honduras to join the filibuster Walker in the latter’s Nicaraguan campaign. Soon tiring of that he retraced his steps for the coast and ceaseless followed trails leading to mining camps along the Sierra’s. The fall of 1859, found him rocking the gold sand of the bars of the Peace River and prospecting the gulches of the Ominica. He followed the dim game trails through the forested region upon the eastern watershed of the Canadian Rockies to the placers of the Cassier and Frazier. The spring of 1860, found him at work on the bedrock in the Elk Creek diggings in Idaho. Thereafter he prospected along the Clearwater and worked at his trade in Boise City and the Loon Creek diggings. It was while wintering the fall of 1863, in a tributary of the Snake that he heard of the discovery of gold at Alder. Despite the severe weather prevailing he at once started for the new Eldorado with saddle animal and pack horse. Being unable to secure good ground he rode away into western Montana to the placers at Bear Gulch in Deer Lodge County. At intervals he followed his trade in Reynolds Gulch and Deer Lodge city. 
He was horse shoer for the Diamond “R” Wagon Transportation Company while its trains were engaged in hauling merchandise over the Bozeman cut-off from Fort Laramie to the Platte. In 1872, he was with the Baker expedition into the Yellowstone valley and participated in the fight with the Sioux under Crazy Horse, upon the north bank of the river opposite Pryor’s Fork. The following year found him engaged in his trade in the City of Deer Lodge and in the spring of 1876 he came to Philipsburg to reside, as it proved, permanently. Upon the site of his last (blacksmith) shop stands the handsomely constructed building of the Masonic Society. 

In 1898, he became interested in the placers in Basin Gulch. (Later) Disposing of his interests in these he purchased a ranch on a tributary of Rock Creek and lived there several years until the exactions of increasing old age demanded his retirement from work of any character. With a companion blacksmith, who had followed his fortunes for more than fifty years, McLean returned to Philipsburg, and the two lived together until Landers passed away in 1918.During his later years his every want was provided for by Mrs. J.C. Lalor, the daughter of the lamented James H. Mills, former Lieutenant Governor of Montana during it’s territorial days. Her gracious sympathy and generosity drove from his humble home the shadows of privation and anxiety and prolonged his life well beyond the years allotted man to live.[37]  

It makes sense to discuss the other McLean’s at this time. Murdock McLean was employed for years by J.J. Carmichael. At the age of seventy four, his health started failing and he died at the Philipsburg Hospital at the age of seventy nine, on December 4, 1932. His headstone gives his birth date as 1865. His funeral service was held at the Merrill Chapel, with Rev. McKnight of the Methodist Church officiating and interred in the Philipsburg cemetery. Pallbearers were: C.E. Kennedy, A.R. McDonald, George Granskog, Herman Shoblom, Fred Barocco, and Jake Flasher. The obituary does not list any survivors, or when Murdock arrived in Philipsburg.[38]

Malcolm McLean was well known, as he had lived in Granite, with his parents for many years.  The first mention of him in the newspapers was when he got in trouble while J. D. Kennedy was sheriff, and this is discussed in Book II. His crime was stealing a span of horses from J.S. Grant, on Willow Creek and taking off for Anaconda; stopping by Henry Hermanson’s place and taking a set of harnesses and then taking a spring wagon from the Teuscher milk ranch, to which he hitched the team and continued on to Anaconda. In Anaconda he met a man who bought the entire outfit for $210. Malcolm then continued on to Butte, where his wife and baby were living. When he realized he was being searched for “he flew the coop and traveled through Utah and Nevada then returned and went to work on a ranch near Anaconda, where he was recognized by the man he sold the team to”, according to the March 13, 1908, Philipsburg Mail.

Malcolm’s sister, Mrs. Henry S. Smith (Florence McLean), died January 19, 1908, in Garrison, of consumption and left her husband with two small children: Leonard aged eight and Violet aged four. She expressed her desire to be buried in Philipsburg, but because she was exposed to Diptheria, they would not allow her body to cross county lines, so she was buried in Deer Lodge. Born in Littleton, New Hampshire on June 1, 1881 to the late Norman McLean, she was survived by her aged mother, two brothers and three sisters.[39] 

Obviously, Malcolm served his time and became a responsible citizen, as he was best man in William “Home Run Bill” McLean’s, wedding to Miss Mayme Superneau, in Butte, on September 22, 1916, at Malcolm’s home. Rev. George D. Wolfe performed the ceremony and the bride’s cousin Miss Gladys Huddleston, of Philipsburg, was the bride's attendant. Bill was a “successful leaser of the Granite mine (and a)… prominent ball player” where he was responsible for the Granite team winning the county honors the prior year. The wedding supper was served at the Thornton Hotel and the couple spent their honeymoon in Portland, Oregon. The couple was to reside in Granite.[40]

Malcolm died of the Spanish Influenza, at his home of 1609 Porter Avenue, in Butte on October 23, 1918. His body was sent to Philipsburg for internment on October 24, but unfortunately, there is no headstone or file card in City Hall, to record his burial. There were 5 deaths from the epidemic in that issue of the Mail.[41]

I do not know what trade Norman McLean, followed, but because he lived in Granite, I assume he was a miner. There is no record of him in the Philipsburg cemetery. The only headstones are Murdock and George. George was born in 1900 and died in 1984. When I was a youngster, he owned and operated the Rodeo Inn, a saloon next door to the Post Office. There is also a file card in the City Hall files for a McLean baby, but no headstone, dates or parentage.


An important group of people in the early settlement of Granite County was the Chinese. Little is written about these industrious workers, except when a shooting occurred or the law suspected opium being used. The first incident research revealed was on February 7, 1889, when Kim Poo was shot and killed by Deputy George W. Opp, thinking there was opium smoking going on in Kim Lee’s store. Apparently when Deputy Opp, tried to enter the Chinamen blocked his entrance with butcher knives, so Opp secured assistance from two other deputies and returned to the store. 

When the Chinese refused to open the door, the deputies broke in and in the confusion, thinking the Chinese were threatening them, Deputy Opp shot and killed Poe, and Kim Lee received a bullet in the hip and his brother Al was hit in the leg. Contrary to the Deputies story, the Chinese said they were in bed when the deputies broke down the door. On February 14, 1889, the Mail, continued the story with the details that Gim Lee, was the one shot in the hip and that Beecher had been deputized and when they entered the building, fired a shot into the group smoking opium, and that is when Deputy Opp, shot Kim Poo, in the head. The coroner’s jury, held in Granite, by Justice Allason (sic), was unable to exonerate or condemn the officers.

The china man Kim Poo, was said:
…to have been a very intelligent celestial, quite prominent as a leader and advisor among his countrymen. He was a past master of the Chinese Masonic Lodge and was much smarter than the average of his race.[42]
The article continued on with the statement a large amount of money had been subscribed by the Chinese to prosecute the officers. The money was coming not only from Granite, but also Helena, Butte and the Chinese Counsel in San Francisco. This was the last of the coverage in the newspaper. Obviously, life went on and the Chinese accepted their fate.

The next article about the shooting of a Chinese, was in Quigley, in 1896. Sam Yank went to Quigley from Philipsburg and about two months before the shooting, received some threats on his life. But, because he was living with Ed Moore, the threat of Moore using his Winchester on anyone that bothered Yank, kept him safe. Some time after the threats, Yank, bought a lot in Quigley Town site. He constructed a one room building, where he set up a laundry business. Several times he was warned to leave town, before he was found murdered on June 1, 1896.

He was found by two carpenters, who lived in a tent near the laundry. They told the inquest jury that a muffled shot was heard about midnight.  But, did not go search out the source and on awakening in the morning went over to Yanks, and found him with a bullet in the head. He was lying partially clothed on the floor. Three corners of the building were soaked in coal oil and a half full coal oil can was found about one hundred feet from the building. Justice E.L. Proebsting conducted the inquest. The body was taken to Bonita on June 3, by Charles Densmore, who transferred it to the Express Company for shipment to Philipsburg, where it was turned over to his celestial brethen for burial.

The final supposition was who ever did the deed, planned on soaking the corners of the building in coal oil and setting it on fire, causing Yank to run out the front door and leave the town. But apparently Yank heard the men outside and getting his Bull gun went to find out what was going on. His assailants heard him coming and shot him.

Yanks, real name was Sam Hank, a resident of Granite County for several years. Sam was threatened several times while living at Golden, before deciding to set up a business in Quigley. He was survived by a brother in Deer Lodge and another in San Francisco. They were both members of the Chinese Six Companies according to the Quigley Times, June 5, 1896.

The following week a small article stated that Judge Nicholas Connolly and Sheriff Levi Johnson traveled to Drummond to hear the Coroner’s report on the Yank murder, with that being the last comment in the newspaper. As an aside Justice Proebsting resigned his position in the same issue of the Quigley Times, as the murder was detailed.

Chinese merchants with licenses to operate a business in Granite County, in 1901, were listed as the following: Woo Hee, Laundry; Wah Lee, Restaurant; Woo Kee, Merchandise; Yick Sing Lung, Merchandise; Quong Lee, Laundry; Yuen Lee, Peddler; Wing Wah, Laundry; Sing Chung, Restaurant; and Tom Sing, Restaurant.

In the Tex Crowley photograph collection is a picture of a Lee family. The elders are identified as Mr. and Mrs. Lee and the small children are Mary, Baby Ann, Joe Lee, George Lee and Freddie Lee. The group is in front of a slab building with one window, apparently a laundry. There was no date on the picture.

Tom Yen was the last Chinese living in Philipsburg and he died July 14, 1932 according to the Philipsburg Mail, July 15, 1932. There was a separate section in the Philipsburg cemetery for the Chinese, but only one grave is marked. Comments in the newspapers described the Chinese carrying on during their celebrations of the dead, by burning articles and doing celestial things. The burial rituals were not understood by the locals nor did they seem interested in learning their significance.

As of 2015, The Granite County Historical Society has placed a marker at the site of the Chinese burials in the Philipsburg Cemetery. 


E. L. Proebsting, spoken of in an earlier paragraph, died at his home in Wallace, Idaho on April 14, 1917. He followed the trade of druggist and had been in business in Philipsburg, then in Quigley, during its boom. He also served one year as Postmaster, beginning the spring of 1894.

After moving to Wallace, he operated the Wallace Drug Company. Survivors were his wife and two sons. Internment was in Medford, Oregon, with the Wallace B.P.O.E Lodge No.331, acting as body escort, stated the obituary in the April 20, 1917, Philipsburg Mail.

As I have stated in other chapters, the task of compiling every person in the early history of Granite County is exhaustive and I can only apologize to the families I have omitted. Often, the individuals were involved in so many endeavors, that I have written about them in another chapter or book, so read everything, before feeling slighted.


[i] Philipsburg Mail, July 3, 1895.
[2] ibid, May 13, 1898.
[3] ibid, June 8, 1900; October 14, 1901.
[4] Montana Historical Society Research Library, Archives donated by the Antonioli Family.
[5] ibid, August 18, 1912.
[6] ibid, January 31, 1919.
[7] ibid, August 27, 1920.
[8] ibid, April 8, 1921.
[9] ibid, August 4, 1922.
[10] ibid, June 17, 1924.
[11] ibid, December 7, 1923; October 2, 1925.
[12] Citizens Call, May 6, 1895.
[12]  ibid, May 13, 1898.
[14] Philipsburg Mail, December 2, 1927.
[15] ibid, August 9, 1929; July 8, 1932.
[16] ibid, March 23, 1972.
[17] ibid, October 5, 1934; October 12, 1934.
[18] ibid, October 1, 1937; Neal, Steven 2008,
[19] ibid February 22, 1952.
[20] ibid, December 26, 1963.
[21] ibid, June 3, 1952


[22] R.E. “Bob” Winninghoff as told to him by his father E.R. “Heinie” Winninghoff, 1998.
[23] Philipsburg Mail, January 31, 1941.
[24] ibid, March 6, 1925; May 7, 1926.
[25] ibid, January 27, 1899.
[26] ibid, February 15, 1901; September 20, 1929; September 27, 1929.
[27] ibid, January 5, 1934; May 29, 1931.
[28] ibid, June 12, 1914.
[29] ibid, May 6, 1927.
[30]  ibid, April 13, 1956.
[31] ibid, August 17, 1928.
[32] ibid, June 1930.
[33] Hess, 2008; Philipsburg Mail, June 23, 2005.
[34] ibid, July 14, 2005; November 11, 1927.
[35] ibid, November 30, 1934.


[36] Philipsburg Mail, January 31, 1901; December 4, 1931; August 29, 1913; May 14, 1896; February 11, 1927.


[37] ibid, July 4, 1919.
[38] ibid, December 9, 1932.
[39] ibid, January 24, 1908.
[40 ibid, September 29, 1916.
[41] ibid, copied from the Butte Standard, October 25, 1918.
[42]  ibid, February 14, 1889.

No comments:

Post a Comment